Back to Table of ContentsMissionary Journal

Percy Smart Hawkes Missionary Journal
[On the flyleaf of his journal is written:]
Elder Percy Hawkes
295 Edge Lane
Liverpool Eng.

[page one is written Nov. 23, 1923, several days after departure]

Left Salt Lake at 8:40 [A.M. Nov. 18th or 19th.]  Mother and Zina Harris came to see me off.  Meet the Elders that accompany me to England.  Their names are Mrs. Zippi, Elder Thomas, Wheeler, Hickman, Reese, Christson, Ogden, Behannan, & Coggle.  Stopped in Chicago over night. Went to the finest show in the world.

Nov. 20  Left Chicago arrived in Buffalo.

Nov. 21  Visited the Niagara Falls.  Left Buffalo at 6 P.M. and arrived in Montreal.

Nov. 22  Stopped at the Mount Royal Hotel one of the best in the British Empire [Canada].

Nov. 23  We boarded the Montrose and sailed for Europe.

Nov. 25, 1923.  We left Quebec and sailed out of the Gulf of St. Lawrence.  Water was very rough.  Three of the boys were sick.  Elder Ogden, Hickman, and Reece.

Nov. 26  Sea very rough, had a picture show in the dining room.

Nov. 27  A very beautiful day, sea very calm, played [a game ?] before and after lunch.  Held our evening class.  Beautiful moonlight on the water.

Nov. 29  Cloudy calm sea.  We all kneeled down in the morning had prayers.  Brother Behannan prayed and thanked the Lord for His guiding hand upon this Thanksgiving day.  Held class, Brother  Behannan gave the lesson, studied about 3 hrs.

Nov. 30  Cloudy, ocean calm, studied most of the day.  Held testimony meeting, all brethren bore their testimony, had a very good spirit.  All testified that they knew this was the true church.  At 8:30 P.M. we attended a grand concert in the lounge room, [it] was very good.

Dec. 1  Was a very beautiful day, spent most of the day out on deck in the morning, [today] was our first sight of land which was the Irish coast.

Dec. 2  [Percy’s 31st birthday!]  At 9: A.M. we landed, were met by Elder Wm. Morrison and Elder Hopenbeck who directed us to the Lord Nelson Hotel, then up to the mission headquarters.

Dec. 3  At 10:30 A.M. we reported at Mission headquarters, met President David O. McKay, held a meeting [in] which he gave us some very good instructions.  At 2:50 P.M. Brother Welch and Gee came to Blackburn.  Elder Riggs and I went out tracting, attended Mutual that night, met some of the saints.

Dec. 4  Elder Riggs and I went out tracting in a snowstorm, went to Sharks to dinner.  At night went up to Accrington [Lancashire County, England] for Mutual, had tea at Thompson’s. 

Dec. 5  Went out tracting with Elder Riggs and to Church History classes at night.

Dec. 9  The sun shown until about 2 P.M.  Elder Riggs and I went up to Accrington to Sunday School, had tea [refreshments] there, went to Blackburn to Sacrament meeting.  I was the first speaker, occupied 10 minutes, my first speech in England.  My topic was “Obedience to Law Brings Forth Blessing.”  I admonished the saints to live the gospel.  Elder Riggs spoke 20 minutes and told the saints how he had enjoyed his mission work, had a very good meeting.  After meeting we went to Sharks and spent the rest of the evening.

Dec. 10  Cloudy and rainy.  I left Washburn and came up here to Nelson, met Elder Bird from Mendon, and Elder Fuller from Ogden.

Dec. 11  Cloudy.  Went tracting in the forenoon, had a very good talk with a lady who had been visited six year ago by the Elders.  She had read the Book of Mormon half through.  Took tea with Bentleys, sang songs and had a very pleasant evening.

Dec. 12  Went tracting, met a man who was very opposed, who would not listen.  I explained the gospel to him and he changed and became very friendly and promised to come out to our meetings.  I took my washing to Mrs. Lords then went to bible class.

Dec. 13  Went out tracting in the forenoon, [went] to tea with Hardy’s and family, then went to bible class at Burnley. 

Dec. 14  Tracted in the  forenoon, one lady as she opened the door her cat ran out in the street and she after it, chasing it across and down the street.  As she reached down to get it she fell and rolled over with the cat in her arms.  She brought it back and told me it was sick and the veterinarian warned her not to let it out.  I told her that I was very sorry that I had let the cat out of the gate.  She was very nice and I had a conversation with her.

Dec. 15  Sunday.  Elder Fuller and I went to Burnley to see Sister Moore about a lodge [apartment].  We went to Sunday School at Nelson, and Sacrament Meeting at night.  I was the first speaker, my second speech in the mission, which lasted 32 minutes.  My subject, I related my experiences of my journey and experiences of meeting the people here in England, touched on the Apostasy and Restoration.  Elder Fuller spoke 25 Minutes on the Word of Wisdom.

Dec. 17  We tracted.  Elder Bird, Fuller, and I walked to Burnley and held Relief Society Meeting.  We took tea with Sister Espely.

Dec. 18  Tracted.  Had a very interesting discussion with a man who was opposed to the Mormons, who believed that we used the gospel as a bait to get women to Utah.  I spent one hour in enlightening him about our people and our mission.  I made a good impression upon him and he promised to read my tract.  We went down to Sister Lords to spend the evening, and to arrange for a Christmas program.

Dec. 20  Tracted, very cold day.  We had some very interesting conversations, explained the gospel to one elderly lady who cried because of the wickedness and trouble that was in the world.  We stood in the door and talked to a lady who had a large body louse in the roots of her hair.

I moved from Nelson to Burnley where I am lodging [perhaps room and board] with Sister Moore.  President Walsh came up and we took tea with Sister Hardy, then went to bible class of which I took charge.

Dec. 21  Went down to the train with Pres. Walsh and met Elder Jones, came to the lodge then downtown and purchased my first hard hat [derby].

Dec. 22  Elder Jones and I went to Nelson to see Elders Bird and Fuller.  The four of us went in swimming and took dinner at their lodge [house or apartment].  We came to our lodge and studied the gospel until bedtime.

Dec. 24  My companion and I went to Nelson to the Christmas social.  We met Elder Weber from Salt Lake.  We had a very good time.  At 12 PM we went to Sister Pickels and had supper.  There were about 40 present.  A very good spirit prevailed and all had a very good time.  At 3:AM my companion and I together with some of our Burnley saints walked to Burnley.  We visited Sister Haywood and Sister Espely, carol singing.  We arrived at our lodge about 8:AM Christmas day.  At 11:30 AM we took Christmas [dinner or lunch] with  Sister Hardy, then went to our social where the children and all were entertained.  There were about 50 present.  Elder Jones and I sat down to supper with the children.  Then the remainder of the party all participated in playing games, dancing, etc.  Presents were given out to the children with [by] a Santa Claus.

Dec. 28  Elder Sanders came up from Blackburn to labor with me.

Dec. 29  Elders Sanders and Johns and myself went to Blackburn to priesthood meeting and met all the Elders of the Liverpool Conference [area], had a very good meeting.  We were invited to the social and tea at the chapel,  A very interesting opera was given by the Blackburn people.  We met some new saints and had a very good time.  Came home that night.

Dec. 30  Went to Sunday School, I gave the lesson on the Holy Ghost.  Attended sacrament meeting with Elder Sanders, my companion.  I spoke upon the “Apostasy and Restoration,” Elder Sanders spoke upon the subject of “Great Men” and how it is possible for us to become so.

Jan. 7  [1924]  Elder Sanders and I went tracting, after which we went to Nelson and took dinner with Elders Bird and Fuller.  Came home then I went tracting alone, had two very good conversations, was asked by one to explain some of our principles.  I sold him a pamphlet and he promised to investigate.  At 8:PM we attended Relief Society meeting.

Jan 16  Last Sunday [I] was circuited to Blackburn.  Going to church I got lost, wandered around in the rain, finally found my way to the church.  There were four Elders in attendance, Elder Gee, Hanson, Allen, and myself.  My subject was, “The Kingdom of God.”  Came [back] to my lodge that night.  Went tracking Monday and Tuesday.  Tuesday Elder Sanders and I went out in country to visit Sister Lomas, spent a pleasant evening.  Returning home I turned my ankle and sprained it, very sore.  Today am not able to leave the lodge.

Feb. 1  The sun shown today for the first time for a fortnight, but very cold.  Went out tracting before and after dinner,  Elders Bird and Fuller came over to Church History class.  I gave a ten minute talk on the Apostasy.

Feb. 2  Tracted in forenoon and took a bath.  We went down to a social, ate potato pie, played games, and had a very good time.

Feb. 3  Sunday - Fast Day - attended Sunday School, I taught the theological class and conducted Sacrament Meeting, had a very good time.

Feb. 4  Went tracting and to Espely’s for tea, then to Relief Society Meeting.

Feb. 5  Rained most of the day, tracted and visited Brother Birch, administered to his boy.

Feb. 6  President Walsh came up to our lodge, went tracting in the morning and took tea with Sister Brinley.  We went to the show with them.

Feb. 7  A very good day.  Tracted in the morning, met a minister at his home, after talking with his wife, he came to the door and told her to go in and not talk to me, if I had anything to say I could talk to him.  He was very angry and unjust, stating that all that was accused of the Mormons was the truth.  Unless we would get a statement from the government of England and the courts that these things were not true, he and all the rest of the people would believe that they were true.  He said things that were false about our Elders, and said that the revelation that they preached were a pack of nonsense.  He raved like a madman and would not reason. 

After taking this abuse and arguing an hour, I left him with his consent.  The next place I went I was attacked by a dog that jumped up on me.  He bit me on the hand and then the leg.  From there I went to the dentist to have my tooth filled.  In the afternoon I exercised my courage enough to go tracting, and had a very pleasant time, had some very good conversations and came home rejoicing.  Attended a meeting at night.

Feb. 8  Tracted in the morning.  Went to Nelson to class, then came to sister Duckworths for tea, spent a very pleasant evening.

Feb. 10  Sunday.  Stayed in the branch.  Elder Jones was circuited [transferred] here.  Elder Sanders went to Blackburn leaving me in charge of the Sunday School and Sacrament meeting.  Went to Sister Duckworths for tea, then to meeting.  I spoke on the life of the Prophet Joseph Smith.  Elder Jones spoke on the Book of Mormon.

Feb. 11  Monday.  Very cold day, tracted, helped clean out the church rooms.  Elder Sanders and I washed up a lot of dishes, helped shine the wood work, after which we ate fish and chips, & had a very pleasant time.

Feb. 13  Thursday.  Sister Owens and I went out to the hospital to see Cliford Aston.  Went tracting in the afternoon out in Paduma District alone.  Had some very good conversations.  Elder Sanders, having a cold, it fell to my lot to take charge of the Bible class.  This has been one of the best days for me since I came into the mission field.  Never felt better in my life.  Enjoyed the spirit of the Lord in all that I have done.

Feb. 14  Friday.  Tracted in the morning.  Elder Fuller and Bird came over, I conducted the class and gave a 10 minute talk on the necessity of the Restoration of the gospel, enjoyed a good spirit.

Feb. 22  I have been ill for a few days with a cold but feeling much better at present.  Yesterday went out tracting a while.  After I had tracted about 5 doors, a little short man came out about the second door back (where I had just given his wife a tract, who had seemed very friendly).  He came out and started shouting and swearing and said, “You dirty low down Mormon, what are you doing here?  Get back to Utah where you belong.”  Just as I started toward him, his wife, was a large woman, came out and grabbed him by the collar and throwed him in the door.  That was all I heard or saw of him.  The lady I was talking to at the time felt very bad to think he had insulted me so, the result was I had a very good conversation with her.  In the evening we took tea with Sister Hardy and went to Mutual.

In today’s tracting I had a very  good conversation with a young man and his wife who run a fish and chip shop who were very interested in what I had to say.  They gave me the idea that what [ever] they could find out about the Mormons and what it taught, was very good, but if they had anything to do with us it would work a hardship on their business in the fish and chips shop.  They were very friendly and promised to come out to our meeting the next Sunday.

March 6.  Snowed three inches last night, very cold this morning.  Went out tracting, didn’t feel very good and not much like tracting on account of the snow and the cold, so just showed a few through the door and started back to the lodge.  Before I had gone far I decided just because it was cold and snow on the ground and [feeling] a little discouraged and timid, that I would not allow myself to give up so easy, and that it was the evil one who made me feel that way.  I turned around, went back where I left off tracting.  I started in by knocking on the doors, which was very hard at first, but after a few doors my courage came back and [I] felt very good.  All the people that came to the doors treated me very kindly and seemed very interested in what I had to say.  My labors resulted in three very good conversations with one man and two women, who wanted to know a lot about us by asking questions. They wanted to know where we held our services and volunteered with a promise to come out to meetings the next Sunday.  This was an experience to me never to give up when you feel discouraged and think  you are not doing any good, for it may be in that next moment that you are in a position to help someone, besides winning a victory for yourself and much happiness, which was my wonderful experience today.  I believe the Lord was with me to lead me to the doors of those who I explained the gospel to this day.

March 11.  Went out and called on some friends that I made while tracting out on the south side of Burnley.  Explained the gospel to the lady.  They are very nice people and treated us as friends by asking us to come again.  He was very interested in the industrial conditions of Utah, stating that he would like to go there.  In the afternoon went tracting, met a lady at the door who was hostile and very set in her false views she had of the LDS and what we believed.  She was a Christian and claimed to believe all that was in the bible, but she didn’t know what to say when I showed her that contrary to her belief that baptism is essential to salvation.

In the evening we went to singing practice.

March 17.  Very beautiful weather.  Sat. I went to Liverpool to preach for one Sunday.  Elder Pitt and I tracted that afternoon for about an hour, then went down to the dock and saw the  Montclair depart for America.  Had a boat ride across the Mercy River to Birkenhead.  Came back to 295 Edge Lane [Mission headquarters in Liverpool] for tea, then went to a show.  Sunday spent the day at Mission House attended Sunday School and spoke at Sacrament Meeting.  Tried to catch a train home that night but was to late.  Stayed to [at] Liverpool and came to Burnley this morning.  Went over to Nelson to see Elders Bird and Fuller in the afternoon.

March 29 Saturday.   President Walsh stayed with me overnight.  Elder Pitt and Moyle came to the lodge.  Pres. McKay and Sanders came up in the Ford and took us down to the chapel to Priesthood meeting.  The meeting lasted from 4:PM until 8:PM  Pres. Walsh called upon each Elder to report his labors.  Pres. Walsh gave us some very good information concerning our duties as Elders.  He advised us to take every precaution to guard our health as this is the worst climate in England.  Pres. McKay called upon each Elder to tell what they thought was the most important thing for the advancement of the Liverpool Conference at the present time, also what was the most obscure principle of the gospel as to each of us, and what was the most important or outstanding feature of the gospel to each of us.  Pres. McKay gave us some very good advice, & encouragement.  He drew a very beautiful picture in our minds concerning the fall of Adam and Eve and the Atonement of Christ.  We laid our hands upon Elder Bird and Pres. McKay administered to him.  We had a wonderful meeting.  There were twelve Elders in attendance.

Sunday the 30th was conference.  There were about 200 in attendance.  Three meetings at 10:AM, 2:PM, & 6:PM, a very strenuous day. Elders Moyle, Fuller, and myself were the only ones who did not speak.  I was called on to pronounce the benediction in the last session.  Pres. McKay gave one of the best talks I ever hear concerning, “Judge not that ye be not judged.”  He admonished the saints to keep all the commandments if we expected to reap the blessings of the gospel.  Sister McKay spoke to the Relief Society and the Sunday School.  Elder Sanders was called to the Durham house to labor as secretary and treasurer of the Mission.  That left me alone for a week.

Saturday night April the 4th.  Elder John E. Rowell came from Wigan to labor.  Elder Rowell is a very likable person very congenial and one easy to get along with.  We are just starting out our labors together, we seem to enjoy each others companionship.

April 6 Monday.  Very beautiful day, warm and sunny.  we went out tracting for the first time together from 9:30 AM until 12:30 PM had a very happy day, had some very good conversations, feel very good today.  Have been bothered with my stomach for about six weeks, seem to be getting poorer, have lost 20 pounds since I came into the mission.  It is for this reason that I haven’t the spirit of the mission that I should have.  I am doing all that I can to keep my health by taking exercise, and following a moderate diet.  Elder Rowell and I went to Brierfield to see Elder Bird, found him in critical condition and low.  Met Elder Moyle there who came back to the lodge with us and had  tea, then we went to the show.

April 8 Tuesday.  Tracted, had a very good time.  Elder Rowell called me into a shop where he and the shoemaker and another man were arguing on the gospel.  They were very narrow in their views.  He best them in all their arguments they put forth.  They were so narrow that they said the world was not round and that Christ was a black man.

After dinner we took a walk out in the country down by a beautiful creek where we participated in taking some pictures, played leap frog, and jumped.  We went down the creek and visited  Lord Shuttleworths old mansion, built two hundred years ago.  A very beautiful park and grounds surrounded it.  Went to singing practice in the evening.

April 9 Wed.  Tracted, had some interesting conversations.  One man slammed the door in my face after telling me that I could not save him.  A lady argued that to believe in the Lord Jesus was sufficient to save one.  I refuted her statement by telling her that, “faith without works is dead, etc.”  In the afternoon we went out to see Elder Bird.  He is feeling much better. I helped wait on him until 11: PM, then we walked back to the lodge and distance of 5 miles.

April 13 Sunday.  Elder Rowell went to Blackburn to preach.  I was left in the branch alone, to conduct the meeting and Sunday School, which is my first experience.  I called on Brother Holgate and Lomas.  I occupied about fifteen minutes, which I enjoyed very much.

April Tues. 15.  Very nice day.  Went to Brierfield in the forenoon and nursed Elder Bird.  While leaving at 6:30, met Pres. and Sister McKay who had just drove up from Liverpool to see Elder Bird.  After going back into the house, we all kneeled down by his bedside and Pres. McKay gave him a blessing.  I rode back to Burnley in the Ford with the President.  Elder Rowell stayed and took care of Elder Bird. 

April 16 Wed.   Weather Fair.  Went over to Brierfield to take care of Elder Bird.  Elder Rowell and I bought Kodak supplies.  I bought me a Kodak and had my initials put on it. 

April 18 Friday.  Today is Good Friday.  Went to Clitheroe with the saints on a ramble.

Elder Rowell went to Brierfield in the morning to see if Elder Fuller would go, then he came later.  Sister Moore and I rode the bus.  We arrived two hours before Elder Rowell and some of the saints.  After their arrival we played some games and played football, & took pictures.  We went up to an old castle which was built many years ago located in the middle of the city.  It was built on a high elevated knoll which was of solid rock.  The castle had a high wall built around it which was used in the early days as a fort.  After walking around the top of the wall and looking over the city which was one of the most beautiful sight I ever looked upon, we took some pictures.  Then went down the side hill and had tea, sang some hymns, which attracted the attention of many of the people who were in hearing distance.

Elder Rowell and most of the saints walked home.  Sister Moore, Hardy, Bromley, Lomas, and I took the train back.  We first tried to take a bus, but on account of so many people in the town who were waiting for transportation home, we were unable to get one.  After waiting one hour at the station, and 50 minutes in Blackburn to change, we arrived home at 10:50 PM tired and worn out.

April 20 Sunday.  Walked over to Brierfield and stayed with Elder Bird all afternoon, then walked back to the lodge.

April 26 Sat.  Elder Rowell and I walked to Accrington, then took the train to Blackburn.  Arrived at the lodge at 12:30.  A dinner was served by Mrs. Hayhurst for all the elders of the conference.  After dinner Priesthood meeting was held in the lodge. 

During the meeting Elder Hanson was called upon to make a statement as to the truth of the accusation by the London papers that he was trying to kiss a girl on the streets of Liverpool.  And [that] during the attempt a policeman went to stop him, and [that] he hit the policeman, then was taken up and fined 25 pounds.  Elder Hanson stated to us that he was talking to a girl friend on the street after dark.  Two men came up to him dressed in civilian clothes, throwed a flashlight [beam] on him, and told him to go along with them.  They were drunk, so he thought they were thugs and not police officers.  He pulled away from them and ask them to show that they were officers.  They pulled out a card and kept blinking the light on it so that he could not read it.  He showed them his card and told them who he was.  He decided that he had better go along to save trouble. 

They happened to be detectives.  They took him up to the court.  After they found out that he was a Mormon and not the man whom they were looking for, they told the judge that he was trying to kiss the girl.  That when they tried to take him, he struck them.  Elder Hanson and the girl stood up and told the truth, while they [the detectives] falsely lied.  The judge believed the falsehood and fined Hansen three pounds.  He paid the three pounds thinking perhaps it would be best rather than to bring the church into it. 

The girl happened to be not a member of our church.  After she had read so many different stories from so many papers, one was that Hanson was dragging her down the street by the hair, when the police hearing her cry, came to her rescue, she wrote a letter to President McKay of the mission and told him that all these charges were false.  That Hansen was of very good conduct during the one minute that he had stopped to talk to her, and that he was a gentleman in every way, and that he did not try and kiss her, nor did he touch her in any way. 

President McKay took this letter to the editors of one of the leading papers in Liverpool and offered them money to publish it so as to refute the lies that were being circulated, but they refused to do so.

After Priesthood meeting we walked down to the chapel where the saints had prepared a tea and program in honor of Pres. Walsh who is leaving the conference.  We Elders gave him a traveling rug and the saints gave him a nice set of knives and forks and spoons.  We had a very good time, by taking some pictures and listening to the program.  Elder Rowell and I arrived in Burnley at 11:PM.


April 27  Sunday.  Elder Rowell and I walked to Brierfield, after which I went to Nelson to hold Sunday School and Meeting.  After Sunday School went up to Sister Pickels, came back to the meeting with the Pickel boys.  Being the only elder there I had to take up all the time speaking.  My subject was repentance.  Spoke one hour and 5 minutes, the most time that I have taken up in speaking since arriving in the mission field.  There were fifteen in attendance.

May 2 Friday.  Went to Brierfield tracting and took pictures.  Came back and got the Relief Society books from Sister Espely.  Took tea with Duckworths, had a very pleasant evening.  Received my transfer yesterday to labor in the Nottingham Conference.  President Walsh told me that I was being transferred on account of my health.

May 3 Sat.  Took a bath and swim in the morning.  Elder Pitt arrived here from Liverpool to labor in my place with Elder Rowell.  Brother and Bertha Sharah, and Elva Boococh, in the afternoon, took some pictures and developed the film.  They went to Brierfield to see Elder Bird.  They came back with Elder Rowell, while Sister Moore and I had tea ready, after which we went down to church and attended a social.

Sunday May 4.  Elder Moyle and Walsh came up with a new Elder Thompson from Long Beach.  I took him over to Brierfield, came back to Sunday School, after which Elder Rowell and I administered to Miss Erna Hardy.  In sacrament meeting Pres. Walsh and I took up the time, both giving our farewell speech.  It was very hard for me to speak, because of the fact that I felt so bad in expressing my regret of leaving the branch.  I told them that I felt worse by having to leave them than I did to leave home.

May 5 Monday.  Elder Pitt and I went to the bathhouse and had a swim.  In the afternoon Elder Rowell and I walked to Brierfield by way of cutting cross lots, over fields, creeks, and stone walls.  Took tea with Elder Fuller and came down to the church where the Branch had a farewell social for me.  There were games, a program, and dancing, after which I was presented by the branch with a beautiful set of stainless steel dessert knives.  After accepting them, I thanked them both for the present and all the love and kindness that was shown me by the saints.

May 6 Tuesday.  Elder Pitt and I went through the cotton weaving mill.  This is one of the most interesting sights that I ever saw.  The guide took us from where the raw cotton bales came in, to where it was spun into thread, then woven in cloth.  The raw cotton is put into a churning machine where it is torn into pieces, mixed up, dirt and particles are take out, then it is mixed and rolled upon spools about 4 ft wide.  The spools are then unwound and it goes through another mixing process and cleaned again. 

At this point it is ready to be combed and spun into a roll about the size of an inch rope.  There is a twelve percent loss of dirt up to this point.  After it is in the first roll it doubled six times and each time it is doubled it is drawn out six times six times 2X2X2X6 making 1728 times it is drawn out.  Then it is wound upon a spool about a foot long, then from these spools it is wound off 2000 at a time, making 2000 threads upon a large spool 3 to 4 ft. wide, just the width of the cloth in which it will be made into.  From here it is unwound and run through a liquid preparation called sizing to strengthen it and give it a better texture.  Then it is taken to the looms to be woven.              After leaving the mill we went to Brother Holgate’s to administer to his little boy who was lying afflicted with the same disease as Leora Brown has, that is, the tuberculosis of the spine.  After administration we came back to the lodge and called to Sister Hardy’s for my washing.

May 7 Wed.  Prepared to leave the conference for Nottingham Conference.  Sister Moore, my land lady, presented me with a silver set of forks to go with the set of knives that the branch had presented to me.  Left the lodge at 11:00 A.M. for the train, called in and said goodby to the Hardys.  Met Elder Rowell and Pitt at the station, said goodby to them at 12:00 Noon.  I was off for Nottingham Conference. 

Had a very pleasant trip, saw some of the most beautiful country in the world, changed at Halifax came through Shefield, a city of about 500,000, noted for its great steel and metal works, where most of the razors and knives are made.  At 4:55 P.M. I arrived in Nottingham.  Took the tram and came up to the Conference quarters where Pres. Boyer met me at the door and made me feel welcome.  Met Elders Kindell, Peterson, and Whitten. At 7:00 PM we all went to a Shakespearian play called, “As You Like It,” which we enjoyed very much. 

May 8, 1924 Thursday.  Elder Kindell and I went out tracting, enjoyed myself very much for the first time in Nottingham Conference.  Had a number of conversations and sold two pamphlets.  After dinner Elder Kindell, Peterson and I went out and visited the Robinhood Castle Museum, where some of the events of the historical story of Robinhood took place.  This is one of the most beautiful grounds and parks that I have seen in England.  I saw in the museum some relics that were used from 250 years before Christ, down until the present time.  This castle is built upon a high hill which is of solid rock, which is undermined by caves which were used in the early day for means of escape when so much persecution existed during the dark ages.

In the evening we went to a meeting in the Nottingham Branch.  I was called upon to talk. I expressed my desires of meeting the saints in the Nottingham Conference, and told them that I felt similar to the time when I first came into the mission. 

May 9 Friday.  Elder Kindell and I went out tracting for two hours after breakfast, had some good conversations, talked to one old lady who had been raised with the Mormons.  She told me that if she ever became very ill she would send for the Elders to administer to her.  I sold her a pamphlet.  Sold four pamphlets.  In the afternoon President Boyer and I went out to Hucknall to secure me a lodge from Mrs. Shepard.  After visiting a number of saints we returned to the lodge, I went to bed early.  I did not feel very well, my stomach upset me so that I felt very downhearted and discouraged.

May 10 Sat.  I felt some better after breakfast. We went down and had a bath.  After dinner Pres. Boyer, Elder Peterson, and I went to Leicester 20 miles from Nottingham, to a baptismal.  Went up to the lodge where the Elders of that branch stayed and there met Elder Sidney Nebeker from Logan.  We both knew each other and was very pleased to meet.  Went down to the pool where the services were held.  There were three baptized, then came home on one of the fastest trains in England.  We traveled at the rate of 65 miles per hour.  Leicester is a town of 250,000 population, one of the most beautiful towns in England.  There is no more beautiful country scenery in the world than there is in Nottinghamshire.  I have never seen anything so grand in all California.

May 11 Sunday.  Went to Sunday School in the Nottingham Branch.  Went to Hucknall in the afternoon.  Went down to Brother Pierce’, then to meeting which is my first Nottingham Conference.  Talked to the saints twenty five minutes.  Came back to Nottingham at 8:30 went down on the market and heard some preaching.

May 12    Feeling better today.  Went out tracting in the forenoon.  Sure had a wonderful time.  Had a number of good conversations.  Sold two pamphlets.  It sure seems good to be able to get so many conversation, and have the people listen to what I have to tell them.  I have found the people here nicer to meet up with. 

In talking to a man who lived on a small street where about sixty families lived, he said that he knew most of them, and that he would be safe in saying, that there were fifty per cent of the men and women who were living there that were not married, and that was only a sample of the people in Nottingham.

Studied in the afternoon then after tea President Boyer and I went down and saw the Dr. about my stomach trouble.  He told me that I had catarrh of the stomach, and if I would follow his instruction of diet, he would have me all right in a short time, and that it was a good thing that I came to him when I did because I would have been in bed in another month and would of had a stubborn case.

He prescribed for me to take Liquid of Parafine - 2 table spoonsful in the evening, magnesia each day, cone of honey each day, the white of one egg in a glass of milk three times a day between meals. 

Breakfast  Harlie Malted Milk made with warm milk, with some brown bread and butter for a few days.

Dinner  Steamed fish, bread and butter, rice pudding each day made with milk one day, next day with eggs.

Tea  Malted Milk, honey, bread & butter, magnesia to be taken after each meal.

May 13   Went out tracting in the morning.  Elder Kindell and I went out to see the Robinhood Caves where the events in the history of Robinhood took place.  I took some pictures and went to a debate in the Nottingham Branch.  The subject was for the affirmative, “Resolved that political parties were essential to a free government.”  I was selected as one of the judges.  Out of three, we unanimously decided in favor of the Negative.

May 14 Wed.  Helped President Boyer sort out the old cloth [clothes] that came in from the saints in Zion to the European relief.  After dinner I came to Hucknall to start my labors with Elder Schade.

May 20 Tues.  Elder Schade and I went to Nottingham.  President Boyer and I went down to see the doctor about my stomach.  He told me that my trouble was brought on by a change from physical work to mental, together with worry, and that I would have to relax from my present work and get some desirable exercise and a change of climate. 

His advice was that I get out of this country.  The nature of the trouble he said is nervous dyspepsia.  After President Boyer and I talked my condition over, he said, “Now it up to you whether I write to President McKay and recommend you be sent to the States or not.” 

I told him I wanted to stay here in England and fill my mission if I could, but if it would impair my health I would rather go.  But, as I am on a diet I would try it out another two weeks, and if I did not feel better, he could tell President McKay what the Doctor had said, then he could do what he felt like, as he was entitled to the inspiration of the Lord as to what would be for the best.  He thought that would be just the thing to do, but seemed to think it was the Lord’s will that I remain and finish my mission here and that I would get better if I would have faith and do my duty.

He said, “If you want me to, I will inform all the Elders in the Conference to fast and pray for you Sunday.”  I told him that I would be pleased, and that I would have Elder Schade & Pierce administer to me then.  This conversation took place at Elder Whitten’s farewell party, who is leaving for home.  There were about one hundred present.  It was one of the best programs that I was ever to.  Left the party at 10 o’clock to come home.  It was raining.

May 21 Wed.  Don’t feel very good today.  Started tracting in Hucknall.  Went to the baths and had a swim.  Elder Schade and I went to Nottingham took tea with President Boyer.

May 27 Tues.  Received a letter from President McKay that was to come to the headquarters because of my health.  Went to Mutual. Was called upon to speak before leaving the conference.

May 28 Wed.  Elder Schade took me to the train, where I departed for Liverpool.  Stopped off in Manchester three hours and saw the city.  Arrived in Liverpool at the Durham House at 7 PM.  Met President McKay and all the Elders there.  After tea Pres. McKay took me and had a talk with me.  He asked all about my condition and what the Doctor told me.  After which, he thought I had better go to Bristol Conference, instead of to the States. 

May 29 Thurs.  Went down in town and saw some of Liverpool.

May 30 Friday.  President McKay called me in the office and said that he was impressed to send me to Bristol, that it was the best climate in England, and, do all that I could for my health, not do any missionary work, only take care of myself.  President took me down to the train in his Ford, where I was departed for Bristol.  Was five hours on the train.  Enjoyed this trip very much.  Passed through the most beautiful part of England.  Saw some of the wonders of nature in full bloom.  I passed through miles of beautiful hills decorated with trees, flowers, and green pastures.  Passed through wonderful sights of flowers such as blue-bells, butter-cups, & bridle-wreaths, and all kinds of wild flowers.  I have never saw such beauty in all my travels.  Passed through Hereford, where President Wilford Woodruff converted and baptized so many in the early days of the church.

I arrived in Bristol at 8:30 PM and was met by President Wallquist and Elder Stranger of Idaho Falls.  Stayed with them over night and was assigned to Plymouth to labor.  Left Bristol in the morning.  Arrived in Plymouth 2:30 PM.  Was met by Elders Smith and Jones who brought me to the lodge.  Treated with kindness.  Introduced me to the landlady and others.  After dinner we went down to see the town.  They took me to see the place and exact spot where our Pilgrim fathers left Plymouth, the old building where they came out of and walked down the pier and boarded the Mayflower, and set sail for America in 1620.  There is a stone set in the walk, which contains the inscription, “The Mayflower 1620,” from there we walked around to the “hoe” where we saw the bay and ships coming in.  Saw boat races, people in bathing, from there we went up on the promenade and saw some beautiful homes, one of which was Lady Aster’s home.

June 1 Sunday.  We took a walk out in the country, saw some very beautiful homes and country.  In the evening we went to church where I met the investigators.  There are no saints here, so we have no branch.

Plymouth is a very clean and beautiful city, a town of about 500,000.  There are no factories and smoke.  The air is very balmy and fresh, something like California, so I think it will be very suitable for my health.

June 3 Tuesday.  Took a morning walk before breakfast.  After dinner we went down to the Hoe and took a boat out of the bay and up river Yealon.  This was a very beautiful trip.  The boat anchored up the river, and we went ashore for one hour.  Met a man who told us of some very interesting things about East Africa and South America.  We took some pictures, then took a stroll down the shore through a very dense forest of beautiful trees which were covered with climbing vines.  This is the time of the year when the flowers are all in bloom.  We saw so many flowers.  The day was warm and bright.  Looking down into the river, we beheld the most picturesque sight that the human eye ever gazed upon.

The boat anchored out in the center of the blue river.  Upon the other side were some mansions surrounded by flowers and different trees.  We came back to Plymouth about seven P.M.  We saw some large ships coming in and going out of the bay.

June 7 Saturday.  Went down to the station and met Elder Ogden and President Walquist who came from Bristol.  Elder Ogden is the Elder that I met in the temple before coming on my mission.  He slept with me on the train coming across the continent.  He has been assigned to this branch to labor with me and Elder Jones.  Sunday we had meeting in the lodge and partook of the sacrament.  Pres. Walquist asked each of us to express ourselves. President gave us some very good advice, and selected me to be the senior companion.  This is something new, as I have only been in the missionary field six months and with limited experience that the three of us have in the missionary work, I feel very weak, but feel with the help of the Lord, and do my duty as near as I can, that all will be well.

We went to meeting in the afternoon.  Elder Ogden made his first speech in Plymouth.  I spoke next to him.  My subject was “Faith and Happiness.”  President Wallquist was the next speaker.  He gave a wonderful talk upon happiness.  He is a very good man.  I never have met a man  that I liked any better, and he has a wonderful effect upon my life.  I only wish that I could be just like him.  He tells us that he is being transferred to the London  Conference.  So after about three weeks of his acquaintance, I shall miss him very much. 

June 9 Sunday.  We all went on a ramble out in the country.  There were about 30 of our friends and investigators.  We had a wonderful time.  Played games, had dinner and tea, came home about 7 o’clock all tired out, but thankful for the good time we had.  I walked down to Sister Pierce’s and helped her down with the children. 

June 13 Friday.  Arose at 6:30 A.M.  Elder Jones and I went down to the beach and took a swim before breakfast.  Went tracting, had a discussion with a woman who was very narrow, and did not believe in the Bible.  She didn’t think that it was right that we came into a far land to preach, when they had enough ministers to preach unto the people.  I told her that Christ said to go into all the world and preach the gospel.  She was very unreasonable and not fair-minded, so we parted.  Went to a show in the afternoon.  Feel very good today.

June 14 Saturday.  Mr. Winsor, Elders Ogden, James, & I went on a hike up the coast.  Took a boat across the bay embarking from the pier where the old Mayflower left in 1620.  After we crossed, we followed a trail up a high hill around the water.  From the top of the hill we could see all over Plymouth and the bay which was dotted with ships.  We arrived to our destination at 6 P.M.  Ate lunch then came back.  We had a very good trip, saw some beautiful country.

June 15 Sunday.  Didn’t feel very good all day, had a headache and cold.  Studied in the morning, went down on the “hoe” and saw the “George Washington” come in the harbor.  She unloaded the mail and passengers from America.  Then we walked down to where the passengers landed to see if we could see anybody from America.

At 6:00 P.M. we went out to church.  Elder Ogden and I were the speakers.  He spoke of the Restoration and I spoke on Revelation.  There were 15 investigators.  Went out on the “hoe” after and listened to the band.

June 16 Monday.  Had a swim in the ocean before breakfast.  Went tracting in the forenoon, after I had distributed a few tracts, I knocked upon a door when a beautiful young lady came to the door and greeted me with a smile.  I gave her a tract and after she found out who I was she slammed the door in my face, while I was talking.  By the time I was up the street talking to another lady, her mother came out with the tract in her hand, ran up to where I was and started to calling me.  She tore up the tract in a rage of anger and throwed it at me.  She had some other women who were jeering and shouting.  I told her that she was a very intelligent Christian, and was very broadminded indeed.  She retreated with the rest and I went on tracting the street.

In the afternoon, Jones and I started out to look for a hall as our hall had been sold.  We went to the Labor party.  The office girl told us that they had a hall just what we needed.  We looked at it and told her we would take it.  But after we had told her that we were Mormons, she drew back and said, that would make it different, that they could not let it to Mormons.  So, we told her we would come around that evening and see Mr. Greger, who was the boss.  In the meantime we went up to the Dacher’s Hall where we had held services for 18 months, and told the office girl that we would like a recommendation, so she sat down and wrote a very good letter to Mr. Greger, stating that we were a very good people, and that they could recommend us to them.  In the evening we took the letter to Mr. Greger, and told him we wanted to rent his hall.  He seemed very good and said that the Labor committee would meet this week.  He would put the matter before them, then he would let us know sometime during the week.

June 17 Tuesday.  Took a bath in the ocean before breakfast.  Went out tracting, had a very good time.  Had two good conversations.  The first door, knocked on the man came out to the door.  He treated my message with friendship and consideration.  After explaining some of the conditions of the Mormon people and what they believed, he said he was a broad-minded person and glad that I had enlightened him about our people.  I sold him a pamphlet and he shook my hand and wished me success.

The third door from there, I met a young lady who had met an American boy during the war.  She said they had been writing for five years and that next month he was coming over to marry her and take her back to Michigan.  I told her a lot about America and she was very happy, treated me good.  I explained some of the Gospel to her.  She said she hoped to meet me in America some time.  I sold her a pamphlet, wished her God speed and happiness.             We came back, saw some strawberries in the window and bought some for dinner, which was a very good treat for the first time in the season.  Elder Ogden and I went down to the bank to get some money, from there to the promenade.  Saw a submarine coming into port.

June 18 Wed.  Went down to take a swim in the bay, but decided not to as the water was too rough.  The caretaker of the resort was pulling a man out of the water who found himself helpless in the waves.  The tide was high and the waves were dashing up against the bank, so it was very dangerous.

We went tracting. Ogden and Jones took one street, while I tracted another.  They almost got mobbed by women who chased them out of the street, calling them dirty dogs.  I had a very good time.  One refusal, and one good conversation, with a woman who was very hostile at first.  After a half hour of discussion, she changed and said if all that I had said, was true, she was a friend to us.  I beat her on all her arguments, of which changed her attitude, and said that she had talked once before with a Elder who was tracting, but that he did not talk so good as I did, and make things so clear.  I sold her a pamphlet and she wished me success.

After leaving some more tracts, a woman came out with a tract and shouted to the rest of the neighbors, “The Mormons, The Mormons.”  I soon got out of there as I was through with the street.

In the afternoon, we went down to see a battle cruiser launched.  The ship was 500 ft. long, & 7000 tons.  There were many people there.  Saw a whale out in the water just before the ship was launched.

Came home from Davenport and read a letter that was in the Evening Herald from a man by the name of P. Whitford, who had objected to my coming around tracting to his house while he was away, and that he as a father objected to these visits.  He said that he would be home anytime after six P.M. and to call and see him then, and he would listen to us, but if we failed to justify or prove any doctrines, we must be prepared to take the consequences. 

The next day one of our investigators answered it and said that she had lived with the Mormon missionaries and found them to be exemplary men.  They not only preached the true gospel of Christ, but lived it.  They spent two years of their lives without pay, but to pay their own expenses, and all the thanks they got was abuse from the world.  She signed it as a “Trusted Wife.”

The next day we went down to see Mr. Whitford at the time he desired for us to call.  Unfortunately, he was not at home, but talked to his wife.  I remember the place, because over the door was the name of the house, which was “Utah.”  When I tracted there she came to the door, received the tract, then handed it back and slammed the door in my face.   We gave her our card and told him to call on us sometime. 

The next day I wrote a reply to his insulting letter in the paper.  I told the public that we accepted his invitation to call, but he was not home, and gave him a card telling him to call and we would enlighten him as to our doctrine.  I stated that tracting was our chief way of spreading the gospel and that we would defy any person in Plymouth to truthfully say that this has not been done in courteous and proper way.  And, that there were some people who were so extremely refined and sensitive that it seemed to unnerve them to present them with a gospel tract.

There sure is a stir in Plymouth about Mormons.  The papers are publishing a lot about us and warning the people to beware of us, because we are like wolves in sheep’s clothing.

June 21 Saturday.  We went up to Brixton with the Hambley’s on an outing.  Had our dinner in the rain and came home in the rain, so didn’t have a very good trip.

June 23 Monday.  Got up early in the morning and caught a train to Forquay about 40 miles up the coast where some American battleships were anchored, the New York, Arkansas, Texas, & Wyoming.  We arrived in Forquay at 9:30, went swimming in the ocean, the best beach in England.  The water was very warm.  Then we went up to the docks where the American sailors were taking supplies to the ships.  We talked to some of the students from the Naval Academy who were on a cruise for training.

They were very friendly to us and we appreciated talking to them very much because it was the first Americans I had met since I came to England.  After dinner we went down to the ball park and watched the Arkansas play the Texas in a game of baseball.  They played some good ball, which seemed very good to us, from the games they play in England.  After the game we went out on the docks and two sailors took us aboard the Arkansas and showed us the ship.  We went up in the conning tower which was 160 ft. from the water line.  This ship has eight 14in. guns, sixteen 5 in. guns.  She is 560 ft. long and has a crew of about 1000 men.  Came home in the evening and went to visit Mrs. Krimp.

June 25 Thurs.  Mr. Whitford, who wrote the scandal in the paper about us, called at our lodge at 6:30 P.M.  He had two other men with him.  They had been drinking.  When we met them at the door they acted as though they had come for trouble, because of the fact that he brought these two men and were intoxicated.  When I went to the door they seemed afraid and turned white.  I offered them my hand and invited them to come in. 

[Elder] Ogden started to answering their questions.  They wanted to know if all that the press said about us was right or were we right.  We told them as far as they published our side of the story they were wrong.  They wanted to know why we came around tracting while the men were out at their businesses.  We told [asked] them if they thought we were going to wait until after six P.M. when the men went home from work to do our tracting? 

Mr. Whitford’s friend was very drunk and said many unreasonable things, cursed and said many bad things.  They had no arguments, just kept asking the same old questions over about our being here after women.

Mr. Whitford said when he started to go that he came here to have us change his views, but they were so unreasonable that it was impossible to do so.  I said to him, now you have heard our part of the question, you won’t neither listen nor reason.  How can you expect to be changed?

Now you see us here, take a good look at us.  Do we look like we’re evil men.  I tell you that we are free from the sins of the world, that you drunken men belong to.  We are just as clean as the day we were born, morally clean, can you say that of yourselves?  Now take a good look at us and you will see real men.  Now do you believe that we are guilty of the things that you accused us of? 

Mr. Whitford said nothing.  I said, you have answered up to the fact that you have had your mind changed concerning us.  He said, well let’s let it drop.  Don’t drive the nail in any further, it hurts now.  The other man, after I told him if he would obey the Gospel of Christ he would be a better man, the tears started down his cheeks.  They left the house like whipped pups.

July 4 Friday.  Independence day in America, but not in England, and there is no sound of guns to wake us up at the break of day.  No sight of dear Old Glory, and red, white, and blue colors to decorate the town.  No celebration of any kind to bring back the fond memories of the many 4th of July celebrations that I had experienced in America, the greatest country upon the face of the earth.  Perhaps there is a reason for England not to celebrate that day.

Odgen and I went down to the train to meet President Clyde from Heber City, who has just been called to preside over the Bristol Conference to succeed President Walquist.  In the evening we went out to Mrs. Peering’s, one of our investigators, spent a very nice evening.  President explained the gospel to them in a very clear and beautiful way.

July 5 Sat.  We went down to see the police about holding street meetings.  The Chief and Superintendent of the police force asked us why all these things were said about us.  We told them that the newspapers could make money for one reason, and another was because we taught the true principles of the Gospel of Christ, and that the world tried to turn peoples minds from the truth by lies and slanders.  We had a very good discussion with them, and after which they became very friendly toward us.  The chief said, “You have got my best wishes if you can do any good.  You can hold street meetings all you want to.  Hold them and we will have a force there to give you protection.”

We spent most of the day searching out two places, one at Plymouth, and one at Devonport.  In the evening we went back and turned in the places and what times we wanted to hold them.

While Elder Clyde and I were in the Police office, a man came rushing in and told the police that his wife was following him every where he went.  Then, his wife came in crying, and said this man, her husband, was starving her.  All the money she could earn, he would take it away from her, go into the saloons and get drunk, and spent it on other men, and that she and three children were starving, and had no clothing, & that he had been beating her.  She said she was four months along with a child.  She followed him out in the street, but the police stopped her, and told her to come in Monday morning and make the complaint to the police, but to go home and not follow him around.  It created some excitement.  There was a crowd gathered around.

At night Elder Wiler came to the hall to give his illustrated lecture with lantern slides of the story of Mormonism.  It was very good, showed pictures of the early days of the church, the crossing of the plains, and scenes of Salt Lake City and Utah.  There were 46 in attendance.

Sunday July 6.  Elder Wilier visited Parguary.  Elder Jones, Pres. Clyde, and I went out to Sister Hambley’s and administered to her.  After listening to a wonderful sermon given by Pres. Clyde in the afternoon meeting at the hall, we went out on the Market to hold my first street meeting.  The Catholics were the only ones there.  They had a crowd of about 300.  After we had sang, “Oh, My Father” and Elder Wilier got started to preaching, we had most of their crowd.  Wilier is the best street preacher in England, so he drew about 500 people around him and with his eloquence of speech and humor, he won the friendship of the crowd.  He gave them the privilege of asking questions, which he answered very satisfactory.  He told them that we were here to make friends and do good.  They gave cheers for us.  We distributed tracts and sold pamphlets to the crowd.  They clamored for them like we were giving money away.

July 7 Monday.   Went down to the train to see Elders Wilier, Clyde, and Ogden off.  Elder Ogden went to London.  I came back to the lodge then went tracting and had a very good time.  After tea we went down to Sister Krimps.

July 10 Thurs.   Went out tracting in the morning.  After dinner we went down to the train to meet Elder Anderson who has come to labor with us.  He has been laboring at Bath with Elder Summers.  After not being able to get a hall there and the refusal of the Mayor to let them hold meetings, Anderson came here and Summers went to Chiltenham. 

There are four of us in Plymouth.  President Clyde put me in charge.  We are hunting a new lodge.  Went to one place and made arrangements to come in, but when we told her that we were Mormons she refused us, because she was connected with the Mayor of Plymouth and she was afraid that it would hurt her reputation. I spent most of the afternoon answering a letter in the Evening Herald that was written to the Editor asking some questions. 

First,  Why did the three witnesses of the book of Mormon leave the Church?  David Whittmer never denied his testimony, but what of the other two? 

Second,  If polygamy was a divine command to Joseph Smith and he practiced it, why don’t the LDS continue to practice it, even if a law was enacted against it?  As long as they don’t are they not apostates? If not, why not?

Had a long talk with Mr. Winsor about us leaving.  They are very hurt because of it.

July 11 Friday.   Spent the day hunting for a lodge.  Finally secured one at 5 North Road.  Anderson and I went in swimming in the afternoon.  Went out to visit Mr. Peering in the evening.

July 19 Sat.  Very beautiful day.  Don’t feel so well, have had a pain in my kidneys.  We left Winsor’s and moved down to Mrs. Wiseman’s which is a very nice place.  She is a very good women and trying to do all she can to make us comfortable.  There sure is some difference in the two places.  We have a beautiful south bedroom for four of us, with a bathroom, nice beds, wardrobes, and most of the conveniences.  We have a private setting room with meals served in it, that are fixed up first class.  The four of us went down on the ‘hoe’ [bluff or promontory or cliff] and took some pictures.

July 29 Tues.   We went down on the hoe and saw the Naval war memorial unveiled by Prince George.  The scenery was very nicely conducted.  There were about 10,000 people in attendance.

Elder Clyde came down from Bristol to stay with us for a week.

July 30 Wed.    Held street meeting out to Devonport.  Had very good success.  Elders Clyde and Anderson were the speakers.  I dismissed the meeting by prayer.

August 2 Sat.   Studied most of the day.  Played tennis with Elder Jones in the afternoon.  Met Brother Neal, President of the Bristol branch who came down for the weekend.

Aug. 3 Sunday.  Held meeting, too stormy to hold street meeting.              My health is improving very fast and I sure do feel better than I have.  President Clyde says he can see a wonderful change in me, both physical and spiritual.  Am commenced to feel the spirit of my mission and happiness is taking the place of the old depressed feeling.

Aug. 4 Monday.   Rained.  Went out to dedicate Mrs. Pearce’s son-in-law’s grave.  Received three letters from home.  One from Mother, one from Louise and one from John Brown.  Answered Mother’s, telling her how good I am feeling and what progress we are making in the work.

Aug. 6 Wed.   Tracted.  Played tennis in the afternoon.  After tea went out to Devonport and held a street meeting.  This was the first street preaching I have ever done.  I talked ten minutes to a crowd of about 50 people.  I was wonderfully blessed of the Lord and through His Spirit, I gave a very successful talk.  One fellow in the crowd kept shouting out, but I did not pay any attention to him. 

After I got through, Elder Anderson said, you sure did shut him up by answering his questions.  I told him I did not hear him ask me a question.  They said the fellow ask something about things pertaining to this life as I was preaching about the next life.  Suddenly I changed and started to talking to them about what the church is doing for the people of the world today.  So, not hearing his question and remembering what I had said, we couldn’t help but recognize I was speaking through the inspiration of the Lord.  We made friends of the crowd, sold 22 pamphlets, gave away 150 tracts, and came home rejoicing and was happy to know that the Lord had blessed us.

Aug. 13 Wed.  This day is my red letter day of my mission.  I can always look back upon it as one of the happiest days of my life.  While on the contrary yesterday was one of the extreme unhappy and discouraging days.  For a long time I had continually been tracting with no results, most every door was slammed in my face, and those tracts that I got in the hands of the people, it seemed like I had to beg and coax them to accept the tracts.  I came home disheartened and felt like my time was being wasted. 

So, before I went out this morning, I ask God to give me courage and strength, and lead me to some one who was honest hearted.  I started tracting about 9:30 AM.  People treated me about the same as before.  One lady answered the door who was holding a large Airdale dog by the collar from jumping on me.  After I handed her the tract and she found out who I was she threw the tract at me and said, “Get out of my door or I will let this dog jump on you.”  I took her at her word and immediately got out. 

The next few doors were hostile, but finally I came to an old lady’s door whom I had a wonderful conversation.  Together with her neighbor, who came to talk with me, as Elder Jones had previously dropped a tract in her door.  About one-half hour was spent in explaining the character of the L.D.S. people and some of the principles of the Gospel.  The women asked question which I answered. 

The old lady became very friendly with me.  Asked me in, showed me a lot of her family pictures.  The lady across the street brought some of her photos and showed me.  The old lady ask me to stay for dinner of which I refused, because dinner was waiting for me at the lodge.  She wanted me then to have a cup of tea, but I informed her that we did not drink tea.  Then she substituted a glass of milk of which I drank.  She believed that I was a good clean young man, and recognized me as a servant of the Lord.  She wrote her name and address and told me to come and see her anytime I wanted, that I was welcome.  I think we will get in the home of the other lady as well.  I told them we would be back in a day or so to see them.  She gripped my hand and wished me Godspeed and success in my work.  We will go and see her day after tomorrow. 

This evening we held a street meeting of which I conducted for the first time.  After the song, I got up on the box and introduced ourselves.  Called on Elder Anderson to open with prayer, then I stood up and talked for fifteen minutes.  I never felt better in all my life.  All fear left me and the Spirit of God took its place.  I spoke as I never did before, with power and courage.  I drew about 50 people around and they listened very attentively.  The other Elders spoke after which, the friendly crowd accepted about 200 tracts and we sold a lot of pamphlets. 

Today has been a strong testimony not only that God hears and answers prayers, but that we are His servants and that I know that what we are engaged in is His only true Gospel.  I bear testimony to those who read this, that I am writing, that Joseph Smith is and was a true Prophet of God.  The God who hath this day given me a strong testimony.  I thank Him for His blessings to me since I came into the mission field, and especially for what has come into my life this day.

Aug. 31 Sunday.  Elder Stanger and President Clyde came down for the weekend.  Got up at 7 AM and went down to the wharf.  From there we six Elders departed with two candidates for baptism.  Mrs. Pearce and Nelly Best.  It was a very rainy morning, but after we arrived to the place out about a mile on the sea shore the weather changed and we held a wonderful baptismal service.

President Clyde offered prayer, Elder Stanger baptized Mrs. Pearce and Elder Anderson baptized Miss Best.  The Spirit  of the Lord was with us, we had a very pleasant trip.

At 5:15 PM, we organized a Sunday School and sustained the officers.  In Sacrament Meeting I was sustained a Presiding Elder of the Plymouth Branch, Elder Anderson as Superintendent of the Sunday School.  The two candidates were confirmed.  Elder Stranger confirmed Sister Best, and I confirmed Sister Pearce, then we had Sacrament which was the time in meeting. 

Because these were the first saints to be baptized, we had a wonderful meeting, the best indoor meeting I have attended since I came into the mission field.  Elders Stanger and President Clyde were the speakers.  The house was full and the Spirit of the Lord sure was in our midst.

After the meeting we went out on the Market Place and held an open air meeting.  We had a large crowd which were very friendly.  Pres. Clyde gave a very impressive talk then devoted about one hour to answering questions. There were no hostility. All the crowd were for us.  We sold a lot of pamphlets and distributed a lot of tracts.  Came home rejoicing for the wonderful day we had.  Had a very unrestful night.  Didn’t go to sleep until 4 AM.

Sept. 15 Monday.   For the last two weeks my stomach has been bothering me very much.  Went out to see the Dr. twice last week and today.  He did not tell me anything new from what the other doctors in England have told me.  Today when I went out, he told me that I should get out of this climate and change my life and get back to farm life.  Before leaving he wrote me out a certificate to that effect.

Last night I read a letter from President McKay telling me to pack up all my things and come to Liverpool.  Since then, I have been making preparations to leave, by visiting saints and friends.

Last night in Sacrament Meeting, I gave my farewell talk in Plymouth.  Today went up to see Mrs. Winser.  Then in the afternoon we went out in a sailing boat to see the Martania come in from the U.S.  She is sister ship to the Lusitania.  She is one of the largest ships afloat.  Our trip was not very successful because we were going against a strong wind and tide.  I am packing up my things to leave in the morning for Liverpool.

Sept. 16 Tuesday.   All ready to leave for Liverpool.  Went down to the police station and checked out.  Before I left, my companion presented me with a small suitcase, a very good one.  Then helped me down to the station with my trunk.  After bidding them adieu the train rolled off and three hours later President Clyde and Stanger met me at the Bristol station.  Stayed with them over night. 

Next morning they took me out to see the Bristol bridge, one of the largest in the world.  After which, we went out to see the city of Bath, 15 miles from Bristol.  It is a city of about 100 and a very beautiful town.  We visited the old Roman baths that were built about 46 A.D. and used by the Romans until about the sixth century.  We also visited the Bath Abby which was very large and beautiful.  I hurried back to Bristol, caught a train and came to Liverpool.  Arrived at the Durham House at tea time.

Met President McKay and all at the mission headquarters.  President McKay congratulated me on the good work that I had done while in Plymouth.  He called me into his office and said that on account of my health, he had better sent me home.  But fortunately, next day he said he had changed his mind and thought he had better send me up to Scotland and give me a chance there.  I told him I was glad, because I have always wanted to go there.  In the afternoon, I helped him paint his Ford.  Next day.....

Sept. 19 Friday.  I came to Glasgow.  President Budge met me at the station.  After tea we went out on the street and held a street meeting.  Had a very large crowd.

Next day, President Budge sent me up here to labor in Edinbourgh [Edinburgh].  Elder Service met me at the station.  Came to the lodge and met Elder Williams.  We went out on the Mound and held a street meeting at night.  Elder Service answered the questions.  Also Sunday, we held another after Sacrament Meeting.  There were about 500 in attendance.

Spent the day yesterday, seeing some of Edinbourgh. This is the most beautiful city that I have ever seen.  It has a population of about 500,000 and is considered the prettiest town in England.  I am sure thankful that I have had the opportunity of seeing it.  The streets are wide and straight.  Princess Street is the most beautiful street in the world.

Yesterday, Brother Williams and I went out to see the Forth Bridge.  Took a bus out.  This bridge is one of wonders of the world.  It cost $18,000,000 and took seven years to build it, with 5000 men employed night and day.  It is 1 ½ miles long and has a double [railroad] track, 300 ft. high.

Sept. 25.   Don’t seem to feel any better since coming here.  My stomach seems to give me trouble especially about two hours after each meal.  This morning I took a walk out in the country and spent the forenoon up on a hill east of town.  The sun was very bright and warm.  While there the Daily News airoplane wrote in the air with smoke, “Daily News” above the city, was very distinct.

After dinner Elder Williams and I went out to the zoo.  It was very interesting.  They had a very good collection of almost every animal.  After tea Elder Williams and I started out for Mutual.  He took the car and I walked.  I never got there because I got lost.  Came back to the lodge and wrote up this.

Sept. 28 Sunday.   Held meeting in the hall.  Elder Williams and I were the speakers.  I spoke first upon the Book of Mormon.  Talked 30 minutes.  There were 35 in attendance.  All listened very attentively.  Elder Williams spoke upon the Godhead.

We are having some very stormy weather.  Scotland is a very cold climate.  Rains most of the time.  I don’t feel so well of late.  Have fasted for two days to see if that would help me.  Last night I broke my fast and drank a egg and milk.  Made me sick.  Had some prunes and eggnog.  Walked out in the country and bought some fresh eggs.  Feel better this afternoon.

Oct. 1 Wed.   Elder Williams and I went up and visited the old home of John Knox, the prominent figure of the 16th century who helped to bring about the reformation.  The old house is three stories high located near the Castle of Edinburgh on High Street.  It was very interesting to see the old stately rooms with most of the original furniture and the place as it was when he lived there.  He was born 1505 and died 1572.

Oct, 2 Thursday.   Don’t feel so very good today.  My stomach is all upset with wind on it.  Am not eating very much, only milk, raw eggs, toast, and a little fish.  Today is just ten months since I landed in Liverpool.  To look back, the time is passing very fast.  Can’t realize that it is going so fast.  At present, am not doing any missionary work, am doing all I can to build up my health.

This morning Elder Williams and I went out to see the old Holyrood Palace.  As Edinburgh is and always was the Capitol of Scotland, this palace is the most important for historical events.  When Scotland was a country separate from England in the 15th and 16th centuries, it was in this palace where all the rulers lived.  We visited the rooms of Queen Mary of the sixteenth century and her husband.  Her bed and bedroom is still there.  We saw some of the old paintings of all the old Scottish and English kings and queens, some of the most valuable paintings in England.

To the west side of the castle, we visited the old Royal Chapel that was about half demolished by King Henry the VIII’s troops when they marched against Scotland.  The walls and part of the roof still stands.  When we came back we came down through High Street where the John Knox’s old house stands. 

The terrible sights that we saw in this street of the low and poverty stricken people made us rejoice that we are so wonderfully blessed.  I never could believe that humanity could live such low and degraded lives.  The stink and smell together with the filth and dirt was almost more than we could stand.  The women and children not only looked half-starved and clothed, but the effects of sin made them appear wicked and diseased. It is a few sights such as this, that make us feel wicked when we complain of our disadvantages.  I believe when I saw these poor unfortunate people, that their conditions of being born into this life through no fault of their own in this life, that they must not of been very obedient spirits in the preexistent state.

Oct. 9 1924.  At the present time I am setting up in bed in an Edinbourgh hospital writing this.  Last Friday, five days ago, I came here to see the doctor about my stomach, as I have been in a lot of physical and mental suffering with my stomach.  He gave me a very good examination.  Told me he did not think there was anything seriously wrong, but asked me if I could come and stay in the hospital and stay for a few days, so that by proper tests he could tell more definitely about my case, of which I consented.

I came in the next day, Saturday, and was ordered to stay in bed.  Spent a very unrestful night.  Monday at 5:30 A.M., the nurse put a stomach pump down my throat before breakfast and extracted some fluid from the stomach, then gave me some tea and toast to eat, after which she put the tube down to pump out some of what I had just eaten.  This time the operation was very unsuccessful, because the tube gagged and choked me, so that I vomited up all that had been eaten. 

So the test had to be postponed until the next morning.  They told me that this test was very terrible because the tube had to be left in the stomach for two hours.  Every fifteen minutes a portion of my breakfast had to be pumped out so as to get eight tests.  Judging from the suffering I went through from my previous mornings attempt, I felt that to have the tube down for two hours was more than I could stand.  So, until the next morning arrived, I had some worry on my mind, so much that it kept me awake that night. 

I prayed that night and just before they made the test, that I would be able to stand it, and that I would not vomit it up.  I know that my prayers was answered because from the time the tube first went into my mouth, and down to the bottom of the stomach, and until the tube remained there for two hours, I never so much as gagged once. 

I felt perfectly easy all the time.  The nurse said it was strange, because once after the first attempt failed by vomiting, the second usually failed.

Yesterday, the Doctor told me that the test proved that there was nothing very seriously wrong.  It was a general condition of an excessive amount of acids that was produced in the stomach.  He told me to get back to my old life, what I was used to.  Today he told me that he would keep me here for a few days longer and give me some medicine that would build me up, and that the rest in bed would help me.

Yesterday, Elders Williams and Service came to see me.  This is a very nice hospital.  The nurses are so good and tolerant, everything is orderly and kept so clean, while the best of service is rendered.

Oct. 12 Sunday.  It is now 7:20 A.M., the sun has just come up, throwing its beautiful beams into our sick room.  Don’t feel so good, had a very poor nights rest.

Night before last, I woke up in the middle of the night, couldn’t sleep.  The night nurse came to my bedside and gave me a cup of hot milk so that I could go to sleep.  While I sat up in bed she ask me questions pertaining to Mormonism.  About one hour had passed and we had a good conversation upon religion.  I explained to her some of the principles of the gospel.  I gave her a pamphlet of the Plan of Salvation, of which she said she would read.  She said she did not believe the dead would hear the gospel in the next life.  But, I quoted to her from Peter 4th chapter where Christ went and preached to the spirits in prison.  She belonged to the Plymouth Brethren of which they are very bitter against our church.

Twice so far, the head doctor of the hospital together with my doctor and the nurses, in coming to see how I was, asked me each time about our people and what the system of our missionary work is.  It gave me a chance to tell them some things that they did not know before.  The head doctor seemed more interested in what my work consisted of than my physical condition.

Yesterday was a very beautiful day.  Elder Service came up to see me, brought some fresh eggs, and some magazines to read.  He told me that he and Pres. Budge came up the other day to see me, but couldn’t get in.  I didn’t feel so good yesterday afternoon, stomach hurt, & had a headache.  Wrote some letter, spent the most of the day reading.

Oct 13.  Weather very foggy. Spent a very unrestful night haven’t felt so well the last two days.  My stomach doesn’t feel very good.  They have changed my diet to milk, some bread and butter, with a rice pudding for dinner.  Doctor told me that I could get out next Wed.  Got up and put my cloths on and set around the fire.  Went to bed at 8:00 P.M. had a very good night sleep.

Oct. 15 Wed.   Was in bed until noon.  Doctor informed me that I could get up and go.  Left the hospital at 3 PM.  Came back to the lodge.  Walked down town, was very weak from laying in bed and the effects of a milk diet.  Weighed myself and weighed 160.  When I went in the hospital I weighed 168.  Don’t feel so good.

Oct. 19 Sunday.   Went to Sunday School and Meeting.  My subject was, “The Holy Ghost” talked about 15 minutes.  Didn’t feel very well because of the condition of my stomach.  The last two days that I came out of the hospital I surely felt wonderful.  Started to taking 15 minute morning and night exercising my body, taking a walk before breakfast, eating only dry and solid food, masticating [chewing] it well, no milk or anything to drink while eating.  This seemed to make me feel very well for a day or two.  But at present I don’t feel so good.  I am not doing any tracting, just trying to build my body up to normal.

Nov. 2 Sunday.  From the date, it is eleven months since I arrived into the mission field.  Attended Sunday School, then Fast Meeting in the evening.  I conducted the Sacrament Meeting.  We had a very good crowd out.  A splendid spirit prevailed.  Elder Calister, who came up from Glasgow to spend the weekend, spoke to us, also Elders Service and Williams.

Next day Monday, Elder Williams and I went tracting.  This is my first door-to-door tracting since coming to Scotland.  Tracting is much different from what I have been used to in England.  To get in you have to ring a bell out at the gate.  The gate is opened from in the house by the one living on the first floor.  Then after reaching the door you have to ring to get into the hallway.  The houses are about 4 or 5 stories high and two families on each floor.  We start to the top and tract each family to the first floor.

Nov. 3 Tues.  I went over to Glasgow to attend Priesthood meeting, the following day.  Went out to Relief Society Meeting that night with Elder Bailey and Calister.

Nov. 4 Wed.   Elder Stewart and I went out to see some of the city.  Visited the University of Glasgow and the Royal Museum,     one of the best in England.  From there we went down the River Clyde, saw some of the shipbuilding yards, the largest in the world.  After dinner we had Elders Meeting of which I enjoyed very much for the Spirit of the Lord was with us.  Elder Campbell a elderly man was the first speaker, he told of the many visitations he had had of heavenly messengers.  Told of a resurrected personage he saw in the Salt Lake Tabernacle one conference, while Elder McMurrin was speaking, who walked around the building.  He said after the meeting, he went up to Brother McMurrin and ask him if he saw anything while talking.  He said he saw a resurrected being and described him the same as Brother Campbell had seen. 

We all spoke at the meeting and all bore a strong testimony to the gospel.  After the meeting the elders laid their hands on my head and administered to me at my request.  Elder Campbell rebuked the disease that has been troubling my stomach and I can say that I surely have felt better since.

I stayed all night and came over to Edinbourgh today.  President Budge informed me that I was transferred to Aberdeen 130 miles north of here on the east coast, of which I shall go tomorrow or the next day.

Nov. 8 Sat.   Came up to Aberdeen to take up my labors.  Elder Service came down to the train to see me off.  Took me 3 ½ hours to make the trip.  Had a very nice trip, saw some very beautiful country.  Crossed many large bridges, traveled along the east coast most of the way.  On the right the rough blue waters of the northern sea was a picturesque sight.  While on the left the country was broken up with beautiful Scotch farms and forests of trees. 

Elder Thompson met me at the station.  He brought me up to the lodge.  Met the land lady, then had dinner.  After which we walked up and saw the main part of the town.  Then went down to Cooper, had tea and spent the evening.

Aberdeen is called the Granite City, because all the houses and buildings are built of granite.  It is the cleanest and most beautiful city that I have seen here so far.  There are no factories or mines that cause any smoke.  When it rains and the sun comes out the buildings sparkle like they were built of diamonds.  The population is about 160,000.  The chief industry is deep sea fishing, making it one of the largest fishing towns in England.

I am very happy to be here.  It will be a wonderful place to labor.  Elder Thompson is sure a nice fellow.  He is a man about 28, lives in Pocatello, lived two years in St. Anthony.

This is considered one of the best branches in the mission, not because it is the largest, but because the saints are so faithful.

Nov. 9 Sunday.   Went to church or Sunday School, and Meeting in the evening.  My subject was Obedience.  Elder Thompson spoke on Prophecy.  After the meeting, we went out on the street and held a street meeting, which was very successful.  We had a very good crowd.  Brother Kenneth Sutherland spoke first for about a half an hour.  Then I spoke for fifteen minutes.  After which Elder Thompson took up the remainder of the time.  After the meeting, he turned the time over to asking questions.

The crowd was very peaceful, did not ask many questions.  As I had just come up from Edinbourgh they wanted to know how we had being getting along there.  I gave them a good report, and complimented them on their broadmindedness and their desire to see fair play as a true Scotchmen.  They yelled out, “Here, Here!” meaning a sanction of what I had said, with friendliness.  As we left they hollered out and bid us good night.  Went to the lodge feeling that the Lord had blessed us of which we were very happy.

Nov 10.   My first day tracting in Aberdeen, gave 100 tracts away and sold one pamphlet.  Had two conversations.  After I told one lady who I was, she shoved the tract back and said she didn’t want anything to do with Mormonism, because she was a Christian.  I told her her attitude did not show that she was. 

In the afternoon, I went out and saw the beach and ocean.  In the evening, Elder Thompson and I were invited up to Sister Sutherland’s to explain the gospel to two young fellows whom were invited by Sister Sutherland’s boy.  We spent a very wonderful evening and made a good impression upon them.

Nov. 21.  After breakfast went down stairs and found a letter from President McKay, together with my release, stating that on account of my health, he felt impressed to release me to return home.  This is surely a shock and a surprise to me because of the fact that I thought my health was improving and would be able to stay in the mission field.

I sure do feel bad and very disappointed because I cannot stay and finish my mission, but am willing to think that it is the Lord’s will, and what He thinks and does is best.

I made preparations to leave.  Answered President McKay’s letter, and told him I would like to sail for home when he did.  Elder Thompson and I went down to see about the trains, bought my ticket to London as I want to see that city before going home.  Did not go to sleep that night, thinking and worrying about having to go home so soon.  At 1:30 A.M., got up and wrote to Mother. 

Nov. 22.   At 6:15 A.M., took the train for London, had a very pleasant trip.  Traveled down the east coast on the fastest train in the world, know as the “Flying Scotchman,” makes the trip from Aberdeen to London, a distance of 550 miles in 12 hours.  We passed through Edinbourgh, Newcastle, York, Peterbourgh, and most all the important towns on the east coast.  Arrived in London at 6:15 P.M.  Came up to “Deseret” the headquarters in London.  Was tired and went to bed.

Nov. 23.   Just one year since I sailed from Montreal.

Went to Sunday School in the afternoon.  Elders Capel, Charles, Nibley, and I went down in Finsbury Park and held a open air meeting.  The crowd were very bitter, would not give us a chance to speak, but would insist on butting in with slurring questions about Mormonism.

Attended meeting in the hall, had the privilege of speaking to the saints of London.  This is the largest crowd of which I have had the privilege of speaking to.  There were 90 in attendance.

Nov. 24 Mon.   Elder Nibley and I started out to see the city, but he found after going to the steamship office that he had to leave at 2:15 P.M.  I saw him off at Waterloo Street.  Then I took in some of the sights of London, visited Buckingham Palace where the king lives.  The London Museum where all of the Royal Antiques and relics are.  This is the most wonderful Palace in the world.  Saw Downing Street where the Premier and all the head of the government offices live. 

In the evening, saw the heart of London, Lester Square, and Piccadilly Circus.  Never before saw such a display of electric lights and advertising.  London is surely beautiful. 

After coming back to the lodge, met President McKay and family.  He congratulated me on being so patient, by staying with the work as long as I have and trying to labor under such trying conditions as I have, with poor health.  He said he was pleased to know that I was going home with him.

Nov 26 Wed.  Visited the zoo and Mandow Tausaud’s wax work, where all the prominent people of the world are [shown in] figures in wax.

Nov. 27 Thursday.  THANKSGIVING DINNER  1924.

  These are the names of the party that took Thanksgiving Dinner at the Deseret House, London.  Had a very good dinner and all were happy.

Nov. 28 Friday.  Met the man whom I rode on the train from Aberdeen with, at the YMCA in the morning.  We went up and visited St. Paul’s Cathedral, which is very wonderful, one of the most interesting places in the city.  From there we went down the Thames River.  Saw the Tower of London.  Inside we saw all the valuable jewels of the royal family from the early ages to the present time.  These jewels are priceless and are one of the greatest collections in the world. 

From there we saw the Tower Bridge, one of the greatest in the world.  It opens up so as to let ships pass.  Now walking up the river a half a mile we came to the famous London Bridge.  Feeling hungry we took a bus to Piccadilly and had lunch.  Went to the Coliseum the largest show house in London.

November 29 Sat.  We went through the House of Parliament, saw the House of Lords and Commons, where the laws are made.  One cannot imagine what a wonderful building it is until seen.  In crossing the street west we come to the famous Westminster Abbey.  It is in here where the unknown soldier is buried in the floor of the main room.

Leaving there we crossed St. James Park and visited the Buckingham Palace where the king lives.  Then to the London Museum.  This is the greatest palace in the world and one would not doubt after seeing it.  It contains antiques of the royal family from the 11th to the 20th century.  The thing that was most interesting was a huge clock that keeps the most perfect time of any in the world.  It contains a combination of nine clocks, eight of which the dials represented 24 hours, and gave the correct time of nine different parts of the earth; New York, China, India, Paris, & etc.   It told when the sun came up each day.  From here we walked through Hyde Park, came back to the YMCA and had tea.

December 2, 1924.   [Percy’s 32nd Birthday!]   Just one year ago today since I arrived in to the mission field.  This year has passed faster than any year of my life.  I can scarcely realize where the time has gone.  Left London for Liverpool, had a very pleasant trip.  Took me five hours to the make the trip.  Arrived in Liverpool at 5:30 PM.  Went up to the Durham House.  Stayed there until I sailed for home on Dec. 6th.

Met Dr. Talmage, his wife, Helen, & John.  They surely are wonderful people.  Had a talk with Dr. Talmage who is taking President McKay’s place as President of the European Mission.  He is a very kind and concerned man.  His wife is very nice.

Dec. 4.  Went out to see Brother William Chalice, with his daughter from the office who is working there.  Spent a very pleasant evening.

December 5.  Spent the day buying some presents to take home to the folks.  Bought a beautiful umbrella and money purse, gloves, etc.  In the evening went to the show with Winnie Chalice.

Dec. 6.  The day we sailed from Liverpool!  I shall never forget our morning prayer and class before breakfast.  President McKay led in prayer, as it was his last morning in the mission.  I have never listened to such a wonderful prayer as he uttered.  After which, Dr. Talmage continued in prayer and thanked the Lord for the wonderful prayer of President McKay, and for the Spirit that was in our midst.

We did not continue with the lesson, but Elder Hoffinbeck read the 14th chapter of St. John.  To my mind the most beautiful chapter in the Bible.  It surely was suitable for the occasion.  Never did I feel the spirit of the Lord made manifest as it was there.  Brother Talmage and Sister McKay’s eyes were moistened with tears.  Sister’s McKay and Talmage had to leave the room, they were so overcome.  It was a happy feeling long to be remembered.

At 4:30 PM, we were all on the Montcalm, saying goodbye to a host of Saints, Elders, and friends, whom had come aboard to see us off.  The gangplank was taken away at 5:30.  The loud and deep whistle of the Montcalm blew, and we found ourselves drifting down the Mercy River waving goodbye to those ashore whom had come to say goodbye.

Dec. 7.  Sea is very rough.  Most all of our party were sick.  Brother Campbell, who is in my cabin with me, and I are the only ones that are not sick.

Dec. 8.  Sea is very  rough.  Didn’t sleep very well, don’t feel so good today.  My stomach is bothering me, but not sea sickness.              Met President McKay out on deck before breakfast.  We walked around the deck a few times, but he became so sick that he went down to his cabin.  Went down in his cabin in the afternoon and found he and Sister McKay to sick to raise their heads.

This is the third day out and not one of the family have been down to a meal.  In the evening, went down to a picture show in the dining room. 

Dec. 13.  Up until today the sea has been very rough, terrible storm all the way.  Did not sleep because of the rocking of the boat, until last night.  The storm was so bad the waves came up on deck and with such force that they broke a pane of glass out of the upper deck.  Brother Campbell was thrown across the ship and hurt. 

Had a very good nights rest last night, because the ocean was calm.  Arose this morning at 6:00 AM, took a bath, ran around the deck before breakfast, feel very good.  After breakfast we all went out on deck and had our picture taken.

Dec. 14.  Landed in St. Johns about 12.  At three o’clock we went through the customs officers and boarded the train for Montreal.  Took a sleeper so as to help Brother Campbell.  Had a good nights rest.  We arrived in Montreal.  Very cold, 4 below zero.

President McKay and I searched around for about an hour to find a hotel.  The rest of the Elders went on.  I feel very good today.  Brother Campbell feels worse, was in a terrible pain.  Pres. McKay and I administered to him, of which he says he feels a lot better.  I went up in town and bought some things to make benches to take on the train tomorrow. 

Dec. 15.  Left Montreal at 9:50 AM.  When I arrived at Detroit at 12:30 AM.  Went to the station, had my trunk examined by the U.S. Customs Officer.  The train only stopped 30 minutes.  Almost got arrested and fined because I had sworn that all the goods in the trunk belonged to me.  I was taking $120.00 worth of linen for some of the Elders.  He charged me $20.00 duty besides almost getting in serious trouble.

Arrived in Chicago the next morning.  Went out and saw Swifts Packing plant, and the killing and packing of the hogs, sheep and cattle.  This was very interesting.

Dec. 17.   Left Chicago at 8:30 PM, had a very pleasant trip.  Brother Campbell and I came on while Pres. McKay and family stayed one day longer in Chicago.

Arrived in Ogden on the 19th.  Didn’t go to Salt Lake to report in.  President McKay said that I should go on home and he would report for me.

Dec. 19.  Arrived at Wellsville at night, stayed there until morning.  Elsie went to Logan with me next day, met Mother and Effie.

Stayed until after Christmas Eve, then went to Wellsville and spent Christmas at Elsie’s.  Mother came over and we spent a few days with Elsie.  During which time I attended three dances and had a very good time, being my first dances since leaving for the missionfield.  I made use of the opportunity and danced most of the dances.

Spent the Christmas holidays very well.  Since arriving, I feel much better.  I brought some presents home from England to give the folks for Christmas.  Received so many nice things from the folks.  I had a very pleasant Christmas.  It sure seems good to be back home again.

January.   Mother and I have moved into Sister Carlson’s house, as her house is rented until the end of school.  I am not doing anything, just trying to gain my health.  Spent the past two weeks doing what little odd jobs come up around the place.  Shoveled snow off the house, helped Mother clean the basement in her house.

Jan. 11th.  Mother, Effie, and I went to the Tabernacle to meeting.  President Cordon announced that Elder Hawkes had just returned from the Mexican Mission and he would talk to us.  I thought that meant me, so I went up on the stand.  After Bishop Slone talked, I got up to talk, but before, I spoke to Pres. Cordon, and told him that he had made a mistake, that I had been laboring in England. 

He insisted there was another Elder Hawkes who had returned from the Mexican Mission.  So he had him speak, after which I spoke and explained the mistake.  I only had ten minutes to speak, but sure did enjoy every minute of it.  I was thankful for the opportunity of speaking there.  We went home happy, Mother & Effie seemed to be very pleased that they were there to hear me.  Went over to Mother’s and had dinner.

January 14.  Went to Salt Lake to spend a few days.  Met Estes, stayed with him for a few nights.  Saw Zina Harris every night while there.  Was glad to see her.  Took her to the “Ten Commandments,” it was very good.  Sunday afternoon we went to her cousin’s John Goddred’s place for dinner.  He took us back to the hospital in his car.  Next morning I departed for home.  Stayed in Wellsville for a few days on my return.

Note:  About twenty years later, about 1944, President McKay was visiting Yellowstone Stake Conference in St. Anthony, Idaho as a General Authority.  He had not seen or met “Elder Hawkes” since their boat trip home from England.  As he sat up on the stand he recognized “Elder Hawkes” sitting down in the audience.  He communicated for him to come up after the meeting, and they had a good visit, which was a real thrill to both of them.

Home + Historical Summary + Life History + Missionary Journal + Memories of Percy + Special Blessings + BibliographyContact

If there are any additions or corrections that would make this more complete please send them to  P. Blaine Hawkes